Thursday 10 July 2014

WIPS and a New Toy

I've got another pair of socks on the go.  More plain, vanilla socks as the yarn's variegated and a pattern would get lost.  I'm rather pleased with them so far:


The yarn was dyed by my friend Lucy and she called is Love Hearts.  These are simple toe-up socks to my own 'pattern' with a rounded toe and longer-than-usual gusset, just like the last couple of pairs of socks I made recently.

Another new WIP is a scarf.  The pattern's a Kate Davies one - A Hap for Harriet.  The pattern's very well written (which is usual for Kate's designs) and after a couple of pattern repeats, I didn't need to look at the instructions any more, which is all good.


It's going to take some time to knit this as it's a laceweight yarn (Posh Yarn Audrey - a cashmere/silk blend; very soft and rather lovely) on 3mm needles.  The yarn's a recent acquisition from a localish lady who is moving to a smaller house and was de-stashing some of her yarn.  I bought three other yarns from her as well - all laceweight.  Laceweight yarn's something I've always found a bit tricky to deal with, but with this pattern being so easy to follow, I think this is going to be a success.

Now to my New Toy.  It's the peg loom I said last week that I'd ordered.  It arrived this morning while I taking Jess for her morning walk, but my next-door-neighbour kindly signed for it and then knocked on my door to deliver it to me.  I'm really pleased with the loom - the ash is a lovely wood:



The 9mm pegs that came with it are wooden, but the 6mm ones are plastic, which should make them more durable (I've read on the internet about thinner wooden ones breaking easily).  I'm hoping that DD2 will enjoy using it with me - our first plan is to make a new rug for her bedroom from some of the acrylic DK yarn I've got.

I'm off to do some more spinning now.  Yesterday I finished half the braid of BFL I'm currently using so I'm now starting on the second half before I ply them together into what I hope will be some pretty yarn (it's pink, peach and yellow; very summery).  I did think about joining one of the Tour de Fleece teams on Ravelry, but decided I probably wouldn't be able to follow the rules on when to spin, so decided to give it a miss and just go at my own pace.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine! Your WIP's are looking really good. I don't think I've ever seen a peg loom in use, looking forward to hearing more about it!

    ReplyDelete