Thursday 26 July 2012

Summer Solstice Scarf

Remember the light blue handspun yarn a few weeks ago when I didn't think I had enough to make the Wendy Johnson shawlette for her Summer Solstice KAL?

Well, I decided to jump in and start it off, hoping that as the clues were released, if I was running short of yarn I could leave out some rows?  I waited until the first few clues had been released and then cast on and was weighing the yarn after every two rows (really!) and got to a point where I thought it might just be possible to squeeze the whole shawlette out of the 344 metres of yarn I had. 

Then, the last clue was made available and ...... after the first person had knitted like the wind, cast off, sewn in ends, soaked and blocked her version, then put up photos on Ravelry...... I decided that although it's a very nice shawlette, it's not really the sort of thing I'd  wear.  The full thing is more of a capelet than a shawlette.  Wendy had said it was a 'sort of' crescent shape, but... well, here's a link to the pattern's Ravelry page and if you look at this version you can see what I mean.

So, I left out some rows.  About 20 rows in total, I think.  This meant it's very much a scarf rather than a shawlette or capelet and it's something I'll wear.

Here it is worn with the centre of the scarf at the front:
And this time, wound around the neck:

I was going to start Breckon last night (with the purple King Cole merino).  However, when I went through my basket to see if I'd put my 2.75mm circular in there, I came across a bag containing five balls of Patons Smoothie.  I thought for a bit as to why it was downstairs and not upstairs in the stash-box and then I remembered that I'd told DD1 I'd make her a cardigan for her holiday with Granny.  As she leaves in just under three weeks, I thought I'd better find a pattern and get going.


I chose this one from the Classic Elite website, designed by Cecily Glowik MacDonald.  A simple top-down cardigan which can be worn back to front as a top and with garter stitch triangles at the bottom to add a bit of interest.  I've got this far:

30 rows in, I think.  There are 56 rows of yoke before dividing for body and sleeves.  I reckon it's doable, as long as I don't get waylaid by something else.  The yarn's a bit splitty, but it does knit up nicely.  I don't think the photo shows off the subtle variegation of the yarn.  The colours are pretty and DD1 is one of those really annoying people who seem able to wear any colour!

Better get back to it I suppose!


1 comment:

  1. I do like your scarf, it's much more wearable that a shawlette. And that cardigan pattern is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete