Sunday 29 April 2012

3KCBWDAY7 - Crafting Balance


Crafting Balance 
Are you a knitter or a crocheter, or are you a bit of both? If you are monogamous in your yarn-based crafting, is it because you do not enjoy the other craft or have you simply never given yourself the push to learn it? Is it because the items that you best enjoy crafting are more suited to the needles or the hook? Do you plan on ever trying to take up and fully learn the other craft? If you are equally comfortable knitting as you are crocheting, how do you balance both crafts? Do you always have projects of each on the go, or do you go through periods of favouring one over the other? How did you come to learn and love your craft(s)?

Up until two or three years ago, I was a knitter.  Then I discovered the Attic24 blog and I became a dual-crafter.  I've mentioned before that my grandmother taught me crochet stitches, but making things using those stitches never clicked with me pre-Lucy's tutorials.  These days, I'm more likely to crochet a blanket than knit one.  Other garments tend to be knitted, although I did crochet a school cardigan for DD1.

Spinning is something new and I my goals for that at the moment are:-

  • Spin a consistently even yarn
  • Spin enough yarn to make a sweater
  • Make rolags that draft easily and don't make me swear

With regard to balancing the crafts I do, there's no conscious thought of allocating x amount of time to each of them.  I just pick up whichever project appeals to me most at that time.  Similarly, I don't think to myself that my last few projects have been knitting so I really should started something crochety.  I do try to do some spinning each day because I'm still very much learning and find I improve more if I sit down at my wheel each day.



So, we've come of the end of 2012's Knitting and Crochet Blogging Week.  I've enjoyed it very much and have come across some blogs that I probably wouldn't have read before.  So, thanks to Eskimimi for organising it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment