Thursday 26 April 2012

3KCBWDAY4 - A Knitter or Crocheter For All Seasons?

A Knitter or Crocheter For All Seasons?
As spring is in the air in the northern hemisphere and those in the southern hemisphere start setting their sights for the arrival of winter, a lot of crocheters and knitters find that their crafting changes along with their wardrobe. Have a look through your finished projects and explain the seasonality of your craft to your readers. Do you make warm woollens the whole year through in preparation for the colder months, or do you live somewhere that never feels the chill and so invest your time in beautiful homewares and delicate lace items. How does your local seasonal weather affect your craft?
Am I a seasonal knitter? Living in the UK, our seasons don't seem to be as pronounced as they are in other countries. Add to that my hatred of being cold and I think I have to conclude that no, I'm not a seasonal knitter. I knit socks all year round. I don't start the New Year thinking about what I'm going to make for Spring/Summer (in truth, I'm not that keen on sleeveless hand-knitted summer tops), neither do I get to the beginning of the school year at the start of September and consider which thick sweater I'm going to knit first.

No, I see a pattern I like or find some yarn I like (either in my stash, a yarn shop or online) and start. The only item I've consciously made with seasonality in mind is an orange short-sleeved cropped cardigan for my older daughter for her holiday with grandparents last year:

But I can't think of anything else I've deliberately made for a particular time of year.

The next item I'll (probably) cast on is a Porom hat - in handspun woolly yarn. Definitely not for summer, although with the UK climate, you never know!


No comments:

Post a Comment